Site C – In River Environmental Earthworks
> Site C – In River Environmental Earthworks
Excavation, In-River Excavation and Road Building
Fort St. John, BC
Oil & Gas
- Rural, steep gullies and variable terrain, in-river works within the Peace River valley including road construction and earthworks grading.
- 168 workers and 90 pieces of equipment at peak.
- 360,289 man hours.
- Excavation of 750 k cubic meters of material from in-river borrow sources for road construction and aggregate production.
- Construction of 2 km of in-river site access roads and a bridge abutment.
- Design-Build of 2.4 m square concrete box culvert and temporary creek diversion system.
- Production and placement of roadway aggregates including sub-base, base, and filter layer gravels.
- Production and installation of riprap ranging from 10 kg to 500 kg.
- Supply and installation of CSP culverts and construction of drainage features including ditches, cisterns, and stilling basins.
- Excavation and storage of potential acid generating shales including the construction of a clay containment liner with HDPE cover.
- Stripping of organics and subsoil to on-site stockpiles. Re-loaming and hydroseeding of road back slopes.
- Completion of work using GPS survey layout and machine grade control.
Challenges and Achievements:
- Project completed on schedule despite winter construction challenges.
- Required to manage important contract milestones and turnover dates to subsequent project contractors.
- Quality of the work to date met or exceeded the contract specifications.
- Creation and implementation of quality control, quality assurance, and quality management plans.
- Adherence to all regulatory and environmental requirements to mitigate the effects on surrounding landscapes and watercourses.
- Manage sensitive monitoring and testing requirements and unique challenges involved with construction operations within the Peace River.
- All North – Design of temp. water management and pipe structure.
- Langley Concrete – Design and supply of concrete box culvert.
- Triton Environmental – Environmental monitoring.
- SGS Canada Inc. – Soils testing and quality control.
- Rbee Crushing – Aggregate and riprap production.
- Wilson Concrete – Manufacture and install concrete roadside barriers.
Site Safety Stats
Total Recordable Incidents0